Sunday, October 4, 2009

CIBC Run for the Cure

Words can't express how proud, honoured and humbled we felt by today's CIBC Run for the Cure. What an absolutely amazing charity event! 
Who would have thought that when Danielle and I joined a "Walk to Run" group in April, we would end up running 5 km to help find the cure for breast cancer?! Yet that was our goal, just a few weeks in, we decided we could do it. We should do it. And today, we did it!! 

Our team "Boobies & the Beast" (there was only one man in running group, hence the name) charged the Start Line with hot pink boa's flailing in the wind. LOADS OF LADIES, men, kids and pups hit the street. There were cheerleaders along the way, and tons of strangers encouraging other strangers, so it was easy to stay motivated. Success was in the air, the first group of people to round the halfway point got a huge "hooray", that didn't seem to stop as more and more people rounded the halfway point. Just when I was starting to think about walking, I would see a pink t-shirt, which meant cancer survivor, or a Mom running with a stroller, or even someone my own Mothers age would breeze by me, and I thought—if they can do it?!
When I crossed the finish line, Danielle was already there, cheering me on and crying. Something I hope to never forget. I knew exactly how she felt, bittersweet. 
On our drive home, as we reflected on the morning's events, we were full of emotion. So tonight, in honour of our first "real run" I will hold a glass of pink wine (blush) and toast to all the people who made today possible.

Danielle's Run Number
Nicole's Run Number

Boobies & the Beast


We can't thank you enough for your love, help and support. And we're already looking forward to next years run!
Nicole & Danielle

No comments: